We have just returned from such a trip. Many of you already know that for the whole month of August we explored Europe by train using the 1st class Interrail Global Pass. And we have to admit is was one of the most successful trips ever. Everything simply fell into place from start to finish.
Our itinerary was incredibly diverse and took us through 7 countries, two of which (Luxembourg and Liechtenstein) we’ve never set foot in before. We explored 21 cities, 16 of them being completely new to us. We had the chance to try an incredible array of new flavors and dishes, marvel at mighty cathedrals, and see the architecture changing in front of our eyes from one region to another. But the main theme of our Interrail itinerary was ‘food’ and we loved every minute of it.
This itinerary worked well for us, but feel free to throw in new ingredients when you plan your own Interrail adventure. And if you are in search for further inspiration, you can read our Interrail tips and our last year’s Interrail itinerary. So here we go. A short summary of our trip.
– we joined the Madrid Food Tour and totally fell in love with the food scene of the Spanish capital
– we had dinner in the oldest restaurant in the world – Sobrino de Botin. An absolute must!
– and also went on a photo tour of Madrid
San Sebastian (Spain)
Saint Emilion (France)
Les Eyzies (France)
Luxembourg City (Luxembourg)
– this quiet place has the most fairy-tale like town hall we’ve ever seen
– one of the most charming cities in Switzerland
– beautiful covered bridges, flowers, and painted buildings
– beautiful German architecture
– gorgeous lake