One Evening in Rome. Back Where It All Began

with 15 Comments

When we first visited Rome seven years ago, we were newlyweds and Rome was our first honeymoon destination out of a pretty long list that comprised a dozen Italian cities and Paris. It might sound ridiculous, but we didn’t do much traveling before that. From this point of view, it feels like our lives started only after we got married. Anyways, back then we spent, if I remember correctly, three days in Rome, time in which we saw many of its compelling attractions, but not nearly enough. Somehow life happened and we never managed to come back to Rome… not until now.
We didn’t even plan this, it just happened as we booked our flights to Japan. We suddenly found ourselves with 16 hours in Rome between planes. The best we could do was to book a hotel and try to explore as much architectural splendor and artistic brilliance as possible in one evening.
By the time we left our hotel next to Vatican Museum and hit the streets of the Eternal City the sun was already setting. It must have been around 6PM. We just walked and walked around, and then feasted on Italian pasta and wine in a restaurant next to Fontana di Trevi, and then we walked even more. It was the 1st of October and the temperatures were quite pleasant even during the night. By the time we arrived back to the hotel, just after stopping for one more gelato, it was almost 2AM. But I couldn’t have even imagined possible seeing so much in so little time. Yet, Rome deserves a bigger chunk of our lives than this. Maybe 2013 will take care of that.
Here is a photographic memoir of our evening in Rome.
What are your most fond memories of a stopover between flights?

St. Peter’s Basilica

Vittorio Emanuele II Bridge and Vatican City

Piazza Navona

The Pantheon

Fontana di Trevi

Vittoriano

The Imperial Forum

The Roman Forum

The Colosseum

This is my entry to the February 2013 Carnival of Europe hosted by Aleah Taboclaon of Solitary Wanderer with the theme “Most Romantic Places in Europe“.

Please don’t forget to follow us on Google+ for more photos, tips and thoughts on the places we visit. If this is your first time here, you may want to subscribe to our RSS feed and follow us on  Facebook, Twitter  or Stumbleupon to get regular updates. Thanks for visiting!

15 Responses

1. Aleah

Rome is so lovely even at night! You certainly made the most out of your 16 hours there πŸ™‚

2. I've been to Rome once, about ten years ago on a ten-day high school trip to Italy. What I remember vividly is spending an evening in a little wine bar on one of the many cozy squares, trying different sorts of wine. And the thing that impressed me most was the Forum Romanum. Too bad I didn't care to bring a camera back then! Definitely a rookie mistake…

3. I've never been to Rome either but your pictures sure cast a beautiful light on the city!

4. Jackie Smith

Our honeymoon was one of those kind they make comedy movies out of – so many things went wrong. Glad you had a great trip to Rome. Photos are stunning!

5. Cathy Sweeney

I haven't been to Rome, but I always picture it as totally romantic, even when I read about throngs of tourists in the summer. Love your pics. You make the most of your time.

6. Kindra | Love & Adventure

Wow – your photos are extraordinary! Makes me want to go back πŸ™‚

• Laura

Then you probably should! One cannot visit Rome too many times πŸ˜‰

7. Catherine

Wow! May I just say how amazing your pictures are! I've been to Rome four times and haven't had pictures as nice as yours. *sigh*

Hmmm… I haven't had the chance to have such a long layover (yet). I'll be vacationing back in the Philippines this summer and decided that since my airline would make a stop in Singapore, might as well stop there for a few days and enjoy the sights! πŸ˜€

• Laura

Wow, Philippines sounds amazing! And you should definitely make a longer stop in Singapore. I totally believe in making the most of our time when traveling.

8. acceleratedstall.com

Beautiful shots! It's a great idea to make the most of a long layover. I had an 8 hour between layover in Athens before traveling to Alexandroupoli so I entertained myself at the Acropolis.

If you fly through Incheon you'll often have 10+ hours there – the airport has a hotel inside and all you could possibly need (public shower rooms, full spa, etc…) but you can also get a taxi into Seoul to see a bit of town before your connection.

Just keep in mind that if you leave the airport you'll have to go through the main security check upon your return so allow time for that as well.

• Laura

Yes, it's always nice to make the most of your travels. Every time the time and visa requirements permit we too try to visit the city instead of getting bored in the airport.

9. These photos are absolutely phenomenal!!!!!

• Laura

Thank you, Andi! It was the first time we saw most of these attractions by night, so it was a pretty cool experience.

10. Lane

Beautiful imagery. We hope to never go back to Mexico — where we honeymooned. It was too magical and another visit would only taint those first moments of married life.

• Laura

Oh, I so totally understand you, Lane. We are not big on revisiting places, not when there are so many new places waiting to be discovered, but Rome… and Paris… and Venice… I simply can't imagine visiting them only once in a lifetime.