10 Things to Do Around Poznan’s Old Market Square

with 10 Comments

Apart from being considered the birthplace of the Polish nation, the city of Poznan stands out for its elegant Old Market Square. Established back in the 13th century, it is the third largest in Poland and one of the most beautiful.
The colourful buildings surrounding the square were repeatedly destroyed, rebuilt, modified, and eventually, after WWII, restored to their former glory.
As we mentioned in the article we wrote about our first impression of Poznan, the colourful buildings of the Old Market Square were the only image we had of this city. But as it turned out, Poznan is an exciting place and there are a lot more things to see and do around the Old Market Square than we had previously imagined.
Since this is the heart of the city, there are quite a few museum to visit in this area. However, museums hopping aside, you must also relax on a terrace and explore the nearby streets in order to fully experience the epicenter of this trendy Polish city.
So make sure you don’t miss the following:

Admire the colourful buildings & enjoy the lively atmosphere

Go inside the Baroque wonder of Lesser Basilica of St. Stanislaus

Find the statue of the two billy goats, the symbol of the city

See Poznan from above

Witness the billy goats butting at noon in the Old Town Hall tower

Learn to bake and then eat a delicious St Martin’s Croissant at the Croissant Museum

Marvel at the Baroque interior of the Franciscan Church

Seek Bamberka’s statue

Eat beetroot soup with dumplings and drink beer brewed on-site at Brovaria Restaurant

Do some sightseeing from a horse pulled carriage

10 Responses

1. Its Very nice photos.I like this place and and interesting to look this photos.

2. DAREK CHELMINIAK

Born and raised there till I was9 beautiful city amazing history

3. Franca

I meant to visit Poznan for such long time, I always hear good things about it. I didn't know there even is a croissant museum there. The idea of eating beetroot soup intrigues me, I love it and I'm always curious to try it made it in different ways and countries πŸ™‚

4. Molly @Green Global Travel

Love the colors of those buildings! And the croissants look absolutely scrumptious. Great pictures πŸ™‚

5. Moll

Love the colors of those buildings! And those croissants look absolutely savory. Great pictures πŸ™‚

6. Love this!! Definitely bookmarking. I'll be visiting Poland in September 2015 and plan to stop in Poznan. Thanks for sharing!!

Happy travels πŸ™‚

7. Muza-chan

Interesting….

8. Renuka

I am in awe of these photographs! Another gem of Europe! Poznan really is a wonder. πŸ™‚

9. Ms Traveltipsy

Poznan is such a beautiful city. I was there in 2012 during the Euro 2012 football (watched Ireland vs. Italy), that was the most fun I've had in a long time. Poznan was packed with Irish and Polish people and everybody had a great time. I also remember looking at all the buildings on the square and thinking that is was a very beautiful place.

10. Jacek